Monday, February 20, 2012

Removing the Tail Lights and Metal Trim

First things first.


My friend Jerry Jones gave me this background on the history of the T@B.  "Thor Industries is the company that bought Airstream, then later, Dutchmen. Thor is the parent company. 

The T@B was originally built in Germany, and the name T@B was derived from the name Tabbert, which originally manufactured the trailer (called a caravan in Europe).  

See this link for more information about Thor-->

Little Guy bought the rights to use of the name T@B and to continue manufacturing it.  The chassis were imported by Dutchmen, but LG is using an American made chassis--that is why the surge brakes are different.

Also, the original (we have a 2004 model) roof was aluminum, but they later went to an "alufiber" combination of fiberglass and aluminum."


I haven't found many people that know very much about these original TABs other than the folks in the TAB group and Jerry is part of that group.


Mine is an '04.  I have one of the first 300 ever made which is pretty cool! (And also why I want to keep her. My 3 year old named her Princess.)

Ok so you remember my last post….the campout where the bedding felt wet after the rain storm.  Thankfully I was at a TAB rally so the folks there told me that many of them get leaks around the tail lights, to pull them off and re-seal.

When I got home, I took them off and I decided to take it a step further and take the red pieces off the sidewalls and repaint them.   This step revealed the metal trim.  


If you notice the back left metal trim underlaps the trim coming off the roof - effectively creating a catch basin for water.  Hmm….


The right side looked ok for trim orientation.


The metal trim needed to come off.  Didn't look good under there.


Uh oh. Under the 3 gallons of caulk they used there was a lot of damage.

In these earlier models there was no drainage in this big back red piece.  They added drainage holes in the later models.

This is the gallons of water that came out of the back red piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment